About me

An asthetics fanatic hoping to become one of the most successful and creatively dynamic costume designers of my age. Basically... I like things that look awesome.

Monday 20 December 2010

Tate or Tat?

Image belongs to: http://artwednesday.com



I've spent all my time tonight on trying to change the look of this blog. Hopefully its not too offensive to the eyes. A quick peak at my friend's blog http://flamesintofires.blogspot.com/  reminds me that I really should reveal some of my views on art and work instead of the pleasure I seem to be going for.

The image above is of this year’s Christmas tree installation. To my knowledge, every year they get a big Norwegian fir, hulk it into the Tate, and get an Artist in to decorate it. 

Now I must say, when I get some of my work up here from when I was more artist than designer, you will be able to see that I do love conceptual art; and this is the perfect example of that. I get it, its Art 101. Displaying nature as God or whoever intended it (or not intended for the atheists) to make us stop and realise the true beauty of something that we have seen a million of times. 

Now I'm not saying this isn't a good concept, but why not go one step further. The average joe will probably look at this and go... 'duh what is the artist getting paid for' and I'm a believer in shocking them into noticing something.

The same message would have been said if the artist had drowned the poor tree in tinsel or suffocated it somehow. (A dead tree would probably go too environmental issues for me). In turn, I believe this could have been a more striking and imposing sculpture...

...but then again a Christmas tree wrapped in bondage tape would probably belong in Tate Modern instead.

But I guess beauty in simplicity is always a good get out clause.

No comments:

Post a Comment